The New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires all public school districts in the state to submit Instructional Technology Plans, as outlined in Part 100.12 of the commissioner’s regulations. The purpose of these plans is to:
- support the current and future use of educational technology in districts statewide
- prepare districts for funding opportunities
- eliminate redundant data collection initiatives
Districts that include investments in high-speed broadband or wireless connectivity, learning technology equipment or facilities as part of their Smart Schools Investment Plan must have a submitted and approved Instructional Technology Plan on file with NYSED. Their Smart Schools Investment Plan must also be consistent with their Instructional Technology Plan.
We can help schools develop instructional technology plans
Districts that have traditionally utilized Model Schools services, either from NERIC or their regional BOCES, to assist in developing instructional technology plans are encouraged to begin conversations with those service providers when updating their plans.
Your NERIC reviewer will need to certify the district submission before NYSED approves a final plan. The deadline to submit your technology plan for review is April 15, 2022. As in previous tech plan cycles, the NYSED Business Portal will be used for the technology plan review and submission process. Districts should be aware that first submission through the Business Portal is part of the review/draft process and does not indicate their plans are automatically approved.
We hosted a webinar on Wednesday, November 3 at 1:30 p.m. to orient districts to the plan submission process as well as review the changes to this year’s survey. View the webinar recording and access the session PowerPoint.
We hosted a webinar on Thursday, March 3 at 9 a.m. to provide the latest information related to the plan submission process and provide general feedback to assist districts with their tech plans. View the webinar recording and access the session PowerPoint.
- How to Write a SMART Goal with Lora Parks
- The Difference Between Missions vs Goals with Melissa Boucher
- Avoiding Pitfalls in Action Plans with Mike Sylofski
Contact information needed
The NERIC review team requires current contact information in order to serve districts properly. Even if your contact information remains the same as in the past, please fill out this FORM and submit it to the review team as soon as possible.
Dates and reminders
- April 15, 2022 – District technology plans due to the NERIC review team through NYSED’s business portal.
- June 30, 2022 – Certified plans due to NYSED through its business portal.
The NERIC review team
- Roxanne Pombrio, Deputy Director
- Mike Sylofski, Manager—E-Learning & Instructional Services
- Lora Parks, Manager—Instructional Technology
- Melissa Boucher, Training Specialist